Tuesday 15 April 2014

SQL Backup And FTP

Since moving to SQL Server 2005/2008 (including SQL Express at home) I've been using SQL Server Management Studio to create a daily database backup. In my home environment my databases are very small (mostly development projects) so I place these backups into a folder than is configured to synchronize with the cloud. I'm not too worried about full server backups as the database server has minimal configuration done to it. In my business environments I have daily backups that backup the full system (including my SQL backup files). 

Despite using the Management Studio for nearly 9 years now I know very little about it, so perhaps it has the functionality built within it and I just don't process the knowledge (nor did my search results) on how to backup SQL databases to a network location, I also wasn't really in the mood to go fiddling with scripts etc.

I came across a great bit of software called SQL Backup And FTP (http://sqlbackupandftp.com/) 

The most basic (free) version of the software has a lot of functionality and setting up a job is easy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment